Monday, March 16, 2009

Birthday Happiness and other Sadness

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been keeping up with my emailing lately but I'm catching up now! As many of you know my birthday was 2 days ago and I had a wonderful one! So thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes and happy thoughts for thinking of me at all when i'm so very far away. I had a wonderful day with lots of yummy american food and my wonderful sitemate Emily (my We! I don't know if you read this but I betcha at least one of your parents will so Dear Emily's Mom(s): You're daughter is wonderful, you should be very proud, as i'm quite sure you already are. She is a thoughtful and kind friend and I'm so happy to have her here with me in Selibaby!) spent most of the day baking for us authentic Dog Team Tavern sticky buns and the rest of it in the insufferably hot kitchen frying french fries because shes wonderful! So extra special thanks to her (and her family for mailing her the sticky buns makings!) having a heap of wonderful friends here makes it easier to celebrate my birthday on the opposite side of the planet from all of you!

But amongst all of the birthday happiness and celebration I have received some extremely sad news, fellow PCV Catherine "Kate" Puzey serving in Benin was found dead on March 13th, 2009.
You can read the Peace Corps press release here:
http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.media.press.view&news_id=1435

I can't imagine what her friends and family both in the US and in Benin are going through right now so keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Love and Miss everyone!
Shelby

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Heh Shelby thanks for the update. I sent a note to Melissa wishing her well and offering our condolences. Be safe, Love Mom

mperry421 said...

hey as someone who knew kate she was a great friend and extreamly well integrated into her community, we were in the process of planning a girls camp together. the beninese have been feel the loss of kate on an equal level as the volunteers.
Many people here in Benin still feel safe at post and realize that things of this nature happen at home in the states too. her blog was being in benin and is on the benin blog website.
melissq

Judy said...

Hey, Shelby. How can I not leave a comment after you heaped such praise on my daughter. I surely believe she is all that you say she is (and
more :-) ), but I love hearing it from others. So thanks. I'm so glad Emily is sharing these experiences with people she cares so much about. And happy belated birthday!
Warmly,
Judy